Monday, March 27, 2006

Destroyer's Rubies - Amazing

I picked up the new Destroyer record, 'Destroyer's Rubies,' a few weeks back. I'd heard about Destroyer for years, from friends, from the music press, from all over, really. So when the new album was released, and was touted as one their best to date, I figured it was time to step up and check it out. Plus, they are on Merge Records. Seems you can always trust Merge.

Upon first listen, I was so appalled by Dan Bejar's voice that I thought I'd never listen to it again. It was already on my iPod (I copy new discs right away and then listen in the car or at home), but I went right back to the store and sold it back. How could everyone be so wrong? I gave it a second shot a day later, with the same reaction. Whinny, overly flourished, high pitched, awful. It reminded me of a mix of Robyn Hitchcock, Johnny Rotten, and William Shatner (with his take on 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds').

Then came the third listen. I'm not sure what made me cue it up again, but I am glad I did. I could not have been more wrong about this record. Lush melodies, dense (in a good way) lyrical complexity, a bit of crunchy guitar in just the right spots. And the songs, yes the songs. Simply amazing...

Some of the more brilliant moments on the album...

  • the baritone sax/shaker breakdown near the end of '3000 Flowers'
  • when the guitar 'solo' kicks in on 'European Oils,' right after the line 'the fucking maniac'
  • the lovely, haunting vocals and guitar combination on 'Rubies' that immediately follows the line about giving up cargo to the sea
  • the line in 'Looters' Follies' that refers to itself
  • the bluesy, lovely 'Sick Priest Learns to Last Forever'

Really, get this album. Make sure you give it at least 3 listens. Don't give up. Oh, and word is that the new, touring line-up is exemplary. They make a stop in Portland at the Doug Fir on May 6. Anyone wanna go?

Here's a link to the Pitchfork review that convinced me to buy...
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/d/destroyer/destroyers-rubies.shtml

And for fun, the Destroyer drinking game...
http://www.zoilus.com/documents//2005/000639.php#more

No comments: