Saturday, June 02, 2007

Goat Curry

Time again for EP, my quasi-monthly dinner group, to reconvene. This time, it was my turn to host, and spurred on by my insanely late 'discovery' of Lee Scratch Perry, I settled on a Jamaican theme. Inspired by a trip to Montego Bay years ago for Scoop's birthday, the dish of choice was curried goat.

Other dishes present: Jamaican beef patty with Sauce Chien (Caribbean spicy dipping sauce which, as you can guess, means dog sauce), accras with black eyed peas, mofongo, red beans and rice, and banana-bacon skewers in brown sugar with avocado ice cream. To drink, rum punch and Red Stripe. (As EP evenings wear on, and more alcohol is consumed, in this case the punch and beer, fewer and fewer photos are taken. For this reason, unfortunately, most dishes were not photographed.)

I'll spare you the boring details, and simply give you a peek at the day of cooking and evening of eating with this selection of photos.

4 comments:

canolive said...

you're right. that is a really astounding picture of juniper berries. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Are those juniper or allspice berries?

It's definitely a lot.

I remember in high school (before we had cable) I happened to record in PBS documentary of Scratch Perry, and my friends, little brother and I watched it all summer long, 2-3 times a week. The footage of him in the studio, behind the sound board, indiscriminately turning knobs and switches, grooving, for some reason was captivating and mesmerizing.

Hungry T said...

Allspice, and I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it they do look an awful lot like juniper (so much so I smelled them just now to confirm, I had this little fear that I had grabbed the wrong berry).

Scratch is actually playing over at the Wonder Ballroom on July 13, and some folks from the dinner club and I are planning on heading over and checking it out...

Tommy said...

Oh yeah, they totally look like juniper berries. Never dealt with allspice in its whole form, had no idea. That's one tasty lookin' Jamaican feast, by the way.

I've been hearing about this Perry guy for years now, but not being much of a reggae fan, haven't followed up. Now I'm curious, might have to go check him out.

By the way, HT, you and I got SERVED earlier today over in the comments section on my Toro Bravo post. Had to laugh. Check it out.