Saturday, May 12, 2007

What happened to Norris?

Anybody else notice the distinct absence of Norris Dairy products everywhere? Well, I guess I can only confirm they are missing at New Seasons on Interstate and at the Farmers Market, but isn't that enough?? The guy at Salumeria de Carlo told me he hadn't seen them at the market at all this season.

Oddly, in place of Norris, New Seasons is now carrying Strauss Family from California. One of the reasons I love NS is their commitment to local goods. This seems to be the exact opposite... Nothing against Strauss, but they are not local.

Anyone know what's up?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, that is weird! I just saw Norris products at The Daily Grind on Hawthorne ... what, last week?

Anonymous said...

New Seasons told me that Noris didn't keep their supply constant enough, and that people complained about it not staying fresh past its expiration date.

Anonymous said...

Noris is great if you drink it fresh, but if it sits a week or two it will go bad. I don't know what other companies do to their milk to make it last longer, but I probably don't want to put it in my body. (If I wanted to ingest preservatives, I'd eat them myself.)

Strauss milk tastes soapy.

Anonymous said...

i know this is like a year later, but jacobs creamery sells norris at the markets now--psu on saturdays and hillsdale on sundays i know for sure. she makes all her cheese from norris dairy, too!! totally get you on the date, though; it really only has a week or so in it. i'm guessing the quickness of it going bad has to do with how long it takes them to get it up to portland and distributed--they're not a big operation.

Anonymous said...

heh, and I'm even later than the above comment... I have also found Noris at People's Co-op on SE 21st.