Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Flor de Mayo

I was in Cali two weekends ago, and picked up a few bottles of liquor to bring home with me. One of those was a bottle of Qi White Tea Liqueur from (I believe) St. George Spirits (I also grabbed a bottle of the Black Tea Liqueur, but that's for another post).

So, Tuesday evening rolls around. Another day of work is over. What better way to celebrate than a cocktail?

I'm between getting the mail at the post office and heading to Lovely Hula Hands with BC and DJ. Looking over the liquor shelf, it occurs to me that I haven't made a drink with the Qi liqueurs yet. A quick check of the Qi web site provides a number of ideas. Having recently tackled the old school Daiquiri, their Flor de Mayo looks like it might be up my alley. Here's the breakdown:
  • 2 oz dark rum (they suggest Pampero Anniversario, which I happen to have on the shelf)
  • 1 oz Qi White Liqueur
  • 1 oz lime juice
  • .5 tbsp simple syrup (they suggest 1 tsp)
  • Combine, shake, strain, drink
The drink itself is pretty good. Unfortunately, the orange flavor in the Qi really outshines white tea.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found both Black and White Qi to be much more about the orange than the tea, too, but of course the Black has that lovely smoked flavor from lapsang souchong (if I'm remembering correctly). I refrained from buying the White for precisely that reason. The Black is wonderful, though. I drank it through fall neat and told everyone I was sipping Sin.

Hungry T said...

I'm glad it isn't just me! I picked up some of the Qi Black too. I've been meaning to mix it into something, but I may breakdown and try neat like you recommend. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

No. Don't call it Cali. Bad.