Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Nostrana with CC

CC and got together last night for the first time in weeks. Really good to see her again. We wanted to hit somewhere with a patio for drinks and food since the weather was so fine, but after cat feeding, gas getting, and mail checking, the light was waning, and we decided to hit Nostrana instead. CC hadn't been before, I had been once with G, but hadn't gotten the pizza. And pizza is what they are known for. It seemed like something we should do.

I get there before CC, and, although the place isn't full, I have to wait at the front. No, not because there is no table or because my party isn't all here (both valid reasons), it's because there is no one there to greet us. Two employees (one, I'm pretty sure, was owner Cathy Whims) stood right in front of me and the people who were waiting in front of me, talking to one another, without even saying 'hello,' or 'someone will be right with you' or anything. Odd.

So, when someone finally arrives to greet and seat me, I get two seats at the bar. On my last trip to Nostrana, the service was dismal. I hope that by sitting at the bar, things will be a bit better. CC shows up slightly after I am seated. She ordered lemonade and I get a Moscow Mule. Now, I know the Moscow Mule isn't the most common drink, but you'd think a place would have a drink book of some kind behind the bar. I have to explain what it is, which is again fine. But, they don't have ginger ale. Would ginger syrup and soda work? Sure, a I say, and it seems to.

We order a salad (radicchio, Parmigiano-reggiano with rosemary and sage croutons in a Caesar dressing) which CC and I agree has too much lemon in the dressing, but is overall OK.

We also order the large plate of Salumi meats, which seem very dry, as if they had been cut days ago, and simply arranged on our plate when we ordered. The meats tasted good, but the moisture issue was hard to overlook. Even a little splash of olive oil would have helped, but no dice.

We also order a pizza (spicy sausage, herbs, and brocolini). Good, but in my opinion, it has nothing on Ken's or the unbeatable Apizza Scholls. The charring is nice, and the flavors are OK, but it didn't really seem to gel into a complete whole.

And then we had to wait forever to have our empty plates cleared, and the ANOTHER long wait for the bill (which we only got after making obvious eye contact with the staff and them asking 'Do you want to hang out for a bit, or are you ready for the check?' I mean, who hangs out with no food and no drink at a restaurant bar??)

Overall, disappointing again. I'm not sure I'll go back. I've had friends rave about this place, but I just don't get it...

Oh, and if anyone is interested, here is a link to my post about the first time I visited Nostrana... http://whatteats.blogspot.com/2006/03/thurs-march-2.html

No comments: