Monday, April 17, 2006

WW's Cheap Eats Pt. 1

Aqui Mexican Cafe

The ADC and I have decided that, when hungry and indecisive, we should consult the Willamette Week's 'Cheap Eats 2006' guide for help. The plan? Hit every place in the guide in alphabetical order, no matter the location, no matter if we've been before. The only thing that can stand in the way of progress is a 'closed' sign. In which case we move onto the next restaurant, and jump back to the closed place on our next night of indecision.

Night one. Apizza Scholls is closed. Man I love Apizza Scholls. Well, there's always next time.

Next in line? Aqui Mexican Cafe. I thought it was going to be new for both of us, but it turns out I had been to an EP happy hour field trip there before.

We order happy hour priced 'house margaritas,' on the rocks with salt. I find it tasty and refreshing; ADC reports that it 'was not all that.' Also, chips and salsa (which they will charge you $2 for). The chips are wildly salty. I find them almost inedible, and end up having to shake the salt off of each and every chip before eating. Three salsas, one fresh chunky salsa, one smoky red salsa, and one tasty green salsa. Again, I cannot emphasize how overly salty these chips were.

Then for the main courses, ADC gets a fish burrito, which she says "is really good." It is massive. She takes half of it home in a box for lunch the next day. I get the tamale of the day. It's pork verde. Pretty good. Side of rice is spicy.

We end up spending about $30. Not totally cheap, but reasonable. Will I go back? Maybe for cheap happy hour food, but I will ask them to hold the salt on the chips.

[photo note: not an actual photo of Aqui's tamales]

No comments: