Saturday, February 10, 2007

N. Lombard Taco Taste Test, pt. 1

My friend, the ADC, has decided to eat at all the taquerias on N. Lombard over the course of the next year. I'm trying (with little luck thus far) to convince her to try them all over the course of a week or two, and hopefully expand it to all of north Portland.

Last weekend, we grabbed waffles and coffee at the Flavour Spot (I'll try and post more on that later), and drove all the way up Lombard, way past St. Johns, up to Terminal 4 and beyond. Then, we turned around and drove back, taking copious notes on every taqueria we came across. Address, hours, etc. I'm pushing to include one that is actually on Portland Hwy (which is what Lombard turns into)...

Anyway, here is the preliminary map.

If you have any suggestions for judging criteria, I'd love to hear them. Watch this space for future reports...

PS - Yes, I know Google has misspelled Javier's Taco Shop. Unfortunate, but not my fault.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this just brick-and-mortars? If so, you might want to add Las Nayaritas to the mix (across the street from King Burrito @Lombard/Greely).

If taco trucks fit the bill, there's Rico's Tacos down the ways on Lombard as you head towards St. Johns, and another taco truck that parks often just down the ways from the Rite Aid on Denver.

My suggestions for judging criteria:

1. Carne asada. One of my standard benchmarks. Gamey/off-tasting? Tough? Or crispy, and delicious? I love La Tienda Santa Cruz - I've thrown down a $5 spot for five asada tacos at 9:30 am on a weekend morning, and left before 9:45 am with my head sweating.

2. Table sauces? Red and green? Or is there a salsa bar? If so, what other garnishes are offered? Quality thereof?

3. Do they offer and how they do with non-conventional taco offerings (i.e. pescado, birria, barbacoa, cabeza, lengua).

4. Soups? Pozole, carne en su jugo, camerones, etc. I personally am not a big seeker of soups, but others are.

5. Taco garnishes. Onions, cilantro...guacamole? Radishes on the side?

6. Tortillas...hand made or store bought?

I'd be interested in your Delicias Mexicanas report. I've driven by this place so many times, but haven't brought myself to venture in.

Hungry T said...

Carnivore - Las Nayaritas is actually on my list. The map left off one name, and that was the one. I think we'll try to add those carts to the list too. Thanks!

And thanks for some criteria ideas...

I was thinking about trying all carnitas, but maybe I'll do asada too. One taco is NEVER enough.