Monday, June 05, 2006

Eating with the Parents

My folks were in town last week. Here's a sampling of what we ate...

Autentica:
Since it was Thursday, most of us had posole. My mother had short ribs. We shared a cactus salad, some chorizo and cheese, and tacos. Everything was OK. I'm sticking by my previous statement that the way to go is tacos al pastor with beer at the bar.

Fire on the Mountain:
My folks loved the wings. I had the spicy peanut pasta with chicken. They had wings (medium sauce, I convinced them not to get El Jefe). We were there on a Friday for lunch. It was packed and loud, but really good.

Apizza:
The folks meet ADC. We eat the best pizza in Portland (the Apizza Amore). Also, Cesar salad. Mmmm. Everyone is VERY happy with this meal (has anyone ever been unhappy at Apizza?!?)

New Seasons:
We need a light lunch after a morning of fixing things around my old house. New Seasons makes pretty good sandwiches. Kettle chips and sodas. We get them to go and eat at my pad. Me: curried chicken salad. Mom: roast beef. Dad: tuna salad (I think, but I may have this all wrong).

Pix:
Lunch was late, so we don't have a proper dinner. We do, however, get dessert after the "Shanghai Tunnels" tour. Pix is so tasty! Passion fruit macaroon, the amalie, torte, apple tarte, coffee.

Simpatica:
Brunch. It's good. I don't think it's great. I may have built it up too much in my head before going. I got the bbq sandwich.

Dinner at Home:
My folks want to eat at home one night. A number of tasty cheeses with crackers (the ADC made me swear to put a picture of her favorite cracker on this blog, you'll see it to the left). Butter lettuce with homemade buttermilk dressing (buttermilk from the butter I made). Bread and homemade butter. Penne with tomato basil cream sauce and sausage. Sorbet with strawberries and dark chocolate shortbread. Wine.

Bon Temps:
After a trip to Home Depot, we need some food. Po boys at Bon Temps do the trick. Boylan Black Cherry Soda, chaurice, softshell crab, pork tenderloin, cole slaw, potato salad. Mmm.

Russell Street BBQ:
Last night in town. Something casual. BBQ fits the bill. I like Russell Streets vinegar sauce. Pulled pork all around. Lots of sides. Folks agree it's a bit different than in the south, but they like it...

No comments: