Thursday, June 15, 2006

Steak

I hate cooking for one. It's a bitch. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook, but I also love to share the experience. Tonight, table for one (unless you count Alma, who was trying to nibble at my food, in which case it'd be table for two)...

I have no clue what to make. I ask around at the office, and there are few good suggestions. Seems to me that the easiest thing to do is get a piece of meat and some veg for the side. I stop in at New Seasons on the way home from work, still not sure what I want.

I head to the meat counter first. I get hanger steak. Then to produce, where I get a shallot, some thyme, a lemon, and some kale (I also get half and half for Friday's coffee).

First, the meat. I consider grilling, but it's already 7, and the kitchen is still messy and needs cleaning before I cook. Grilling will take too long. I put some oil into a pan and heat it up. I coat the meat with salt and pepper. I coarsely chop the shallot. Both go into the pan with the whole thyme sprigs. Cook it on down.

For the kale (and this is a nod to my ex, ADC), I put some olive oil in another pan. Chop a few leaves of kale VERY coarsely. Put into pan and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Saute, but don't wilt. I like veggies to have a little crunch.

When the meat is done, I pull it out of the pan to rest. I then pour some of tonight's wine (2003 St. Cosme Cotes du Rhone) into the pan with the now caramelized shallots and sprigs of thyme. This simmers down until a bit thicker. I cut the steak, put the kale next to it on the plate, and drizzle the pan sauce on top.

Not too shabby. Ends up I put too much lemon juice on the kale. I cut the meat at the wrong angle. At least the sauce tastes good. I sit at the table to eat, listening to the blues (Lightnin' Hopkins, and at the very moment I type these words, 'Baby, Please Don't Go' is on...)

No comments: