Friday, May 19, 2006

WW's Cheap Eats Pt. 3

Autentica
ADC and I were trying to figure out where to eat last night. We tried to use our WW Cheap Eats plan, but it fell through. We have slightly abridged the rules... 2 restaurants from each letter, then, if we get to the end, back around to 'A' again. So, after Aqui and Apizza, we were onto the 'B's. ADC had heard bad things about Baan Thai's treatment of employees, so we passed on that. Bakery Bar is only breakfast and lunch. Ah yes, Baraka on Alberta. We had both read bad reviews, but were committed to our exploration of the Cheap Eats guide, so we hopped in the car and headed down to Alberta.

Argh! Baraka is closed for 2 days for some undisclosed reason! There is a sign, but I don't bother to read it. I know that Bella Faccia should be next, but we've both been there before, and I am pretty sure that is an acceptable reason for exemption.

Then ADC remembers that Autentica is close. I don't have the Cheap Eats guide in the car, so the serendipitous fact that this place is in the guide escapes up both until later. We head north again to Killingsworth.

Thursday at Autentica is posole night, so it is pretty clear one of has to order it. ADC wins to argument, and I order green pork mole instead (and a taco al pastor on the side).

First, we are presented with pickled veggies and bread. I found the pickled veggies a little bland; we had hoped for more crunch and more vinegar (carrot, potato, and peppers). I also found the bread fairly tasteless, white and fluffy on the inside. I had expected fresh tortillas from start to finish. The bread was what you might get at costco or something.

The taco came with three salsas, cruda, macha, and chile de arbol. Homemade tortillas and tender tasty pork topped with cilantro and a lime wedge on the side. And all for $1.50. I could go back and just eat these little gems at the bar. So yummy.

The mole came on a huge platter, lots of pork with onion, cilantro, and radish to accompany it. Oh, and on the side, more homemade tortillas.

ADC's posole was the white variety (as opposed to the red or green posole). A HUGE bowl of steaming goodness appears at the table. Hominy, juicy pork, tasty broth. And then, the side platter shows up. Radish, onion, jalapeno, queso fresco, avocado, chile relleno, pork rind, homemade chips, cabbage, lime, oregano, and a beef taquito. An amazing wealth of food, no doubt.

I had a Negra Modella and ADC had a coke.

I really enjoyed it here. I will be heading back, maybe for just tacos and beer, who knows!

No comments: